Gorgeous green in color and distinctive flavour of broad beans/ sem ki phalli have a long tradition of cultivation, is among the most ancient plants in cultivation and also among the easiest to grow. So as the history goes, this broad bean with baby potatoes stir fry recipe is quick, simple, easy and very satisfying to make. Indeed, lazy-man can try their hand!
I like it hot and spicy with chapatti. And yes! The next day I don’t mind eating the left-over of stir fry broad beans curry as the stuffing in the sandwich.
This neglected legume, being a bean offers a robust flavour and high nutritious; like phosphorous,thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin A and C and is notably rich in protein too.Serves: 2 pax easily.
- Indian Broad beans/Sem Ki Phalli -15 to 20Nos.
- Baby Potato - 7to9 Nos. (Cut into half)
- Tomato -1 medium size
- Garlic pods – 6-7 (crushed and fine chopped)
- Cumin seed – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt - to taste (or 1 teaspoon)
Method of making Broad beans with Baby potaoes Stir fry Curry:
- Wash,destring,trimmed ends and cut into 1 inch pieces of the broad beans/sem ki phalli and also cut the potatoes keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Now add and toast the cumin seeds.
- Then add the crushed and finely chopped garlic pods until they turn golden brown.
- Than add chopped tomato and fry untill cooked.
- Stir in and soon add baby potatoes. Cook for 2 minutes on high flame.
- Then add the broad beans pieces and mix it well. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in and then add all the dry spices like red chilli, coriander, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cover and cook on medium-low for about 10-12 minutes or until the beans pieces and potatoes are tender. Serve hot with rice or with chapatti.
- This post is also dedicated to wonderful competition "My Legume Affair 15", hosted by Susan.
Hope you enjoyed! Try making at home for a better change from the routine food :)