The ingredients used are few and can easily be found in anybody's kitchen. Cluster beans are something we dont prefer to cook but this recipe is simple yet tasty. Many innovations can be made to cook these beans to have different flavour, but I prefer to have it simply with less masala(spices), this retains the color and taste of the vegetable.
- Cluster Beans/ Gawari phali - 250 gms
- Potatos (Peeled & cut into Cubes) - 2 medium sized
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
Method of Prepartion:
- Pluck top & tail & string the beans.
- Wash them thoroughly in water, keep aside to rinse.
- Now chop in to small pieces (1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in size).
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes in to small dice.
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Add cumin seed. When they start to sputter add the diced potato.
- Fry the diced potato, now add coriander powder, red chilly powder, and salt to taste. Mix it well.
- When the potatoes are half cooked, add chopped gavar phali/ cluster beans.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 3-4 minutes
Remove the lid stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- If the cluster beans/gavar phali are not cooked well then sprinkle some water if needed. Simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Let the gavar phali/cluster beans be tender and soft.
- Cluster Beans /Gawar must be young and tender, not woody and fibrous. If woody and hard, boil it in water for 3-4 minutes. Rinse the water and carry on the procedure.
- Potaoes are optional, it adds to the volume of the Bhaji, and one who loves Aloo/potatoes will enjoy!
- Add some fine chopped onion while frying the spices for change and enhancement of flavour. Can also add Hing (asafetida powder) while frying. This shall enhance the flavour of the bhaji.
- Some also like to add lentils and grated coconut, but its all about the innovations to be made to change the flavour.
As we are celebrating the spirit of summer with vegetables on WBB- feast, this cluster beans bhaji shall add up more taste and variety in the WBB–Summer Feast for July,08 announced by blog Monsoon Spice.
Hope you liked our article. Don't forget to share your view or link to us. Cheers!